[pulseaudio-discuss] New kernel 2.6.34-rc4, no audio

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Apr 19 10:14:11 PDT 2010

On Monday 19 April 2010, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>'Twas brillig, and Gene Heskett at 19/04/10 16:24 did gyre and gimble:
>> On Monday 19 April 2010, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>>> 'Twas brillig, and Gene Heskett at 19/04/10 05:10 did gyre and gimble:
>>>
>>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>>> :)
>>>
>>> Todays Lesson:
>>>
>>> You can see your user sneaking in there. This means that your user does
>>> have permission to read and write this node.
>>>
>>> So now that this is set, you should try running PA again and see if you
>>> get the "accessible: no" bit in the log.
>>>
>>> Col
>>
>> Not sure if I am, and since the only way to run it again is to kill and
>> restart it with the '-vvv &' options , I'll wait for the next reboot,
>> which is coming at some point today, because if I restart it without a
>> working knotify4, the sound results are all chopped up.  knotify4 goes
>> away shortly after the boot because 10 minutes later its still hogging
>> one core of my phenom at 100% so I kill it.  But that is also true of the
>> distro kernels.
>
>We used to have a 100% CPU issue with knotify a while back in Mdv, but I
>thought we'd fixed it. It relates to how Phonon works with streams.

At the moment, no phonon is running according to htop.  Should it be?

>All
>the backends are broken in one way or the other :(. IIRC tho' knotify
>does some strange things with it's sound output... It never bothered me
>quite enough to get my hands dirty and look at the code however. I've
>seen it hogging the alsa hw:0 device in the past tho'. Nasty.
>
>The problem with waiting until reboot is that the ACLs for the device
>nodes may not be written correctly at boot time for whatever reason, and
>it's this boot that causes the problems. Running PA manually after
>checking the ACLs is a good way to verify everything is setup correctly.
So I did restart it and:
[gene at coyote build]$ getfacl /dev/snd/controlC0
# file: dev/snd/controlC0
# owner: root
# group: audio
user::rw-
user:gene:rw-
group::rw-
mask::rw-
other::---

and now the sound is sputtering, at least for the chime of incoming email.

>> I am finding enough wrong with mandriva that I'm considering bailing for
>> the *buntu camp, or if I can survive till F13 is final, maybe that, the
>> beta is working on my lappy including the 3d stuff.
>
>If you're a KDE man (which is sounds like you are)

Yes.

>then MAndriva and
>OpenSuse generally get the best write ups for KDE related stuff.
>
>> MDV's dkms is busted
>
>Works fine here, perhaps it's specific dkms packages?
>
>> ccache's installer dates from 2005 so it doesn't work,
>
>Hmm, I have ccache running fine here too.

Its miss-linked somehow.  My script calls it, and it works without throwing
any visible errors, but its <5% of the speed I had on 32 bit F10.

>> makes a kernel build take 2 hours on a 4 core phenom
>
>Are you building an RPM via mandriva's packages because if so, you are
>aware that it's building several separate kernels for various different
>purposes. You can edit the SPEC to not generate all the sundray kernels
>and only build the one you are interested in.

This is a straight from kernel.org kernel. 2.6.33 tarball + patches.

>> and a host of other quibbles, like an almost
>> complete lack of expert assistance from its "expert" mailing list
>> (english version), yadda yadda.
>
>Hmm, strange. I don't really subscribe to the expert list much... cooker
>tends to be what interests me more.

Does that have a mailiing list?

>You should hang out in IRC. People tend to be pretty helpful generally.

On freenode I assume, #name please.

>> Expert support on this list is the one shining star in this otherwise
>> dismal sky.  Thank you very much.
>
>No worries.
>
>Col

Thanks Colin.