[pulseaudio-discuss] Does pulseaudio require alsa/oss

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Apr 20 08:42:27 PDT 2010

'Twas brillig, and John Frankish at 20/04/10 15:04 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi,
>
> Dumb question maybe, but..
>
> Does pulseaudio require alsa or oss to be configured to detect a soundcard or should it detect the soundcard without either alsa or oss configured?
>
> The reason I ask is that the pulseaudio udev module will not detect the soundcard on my dell latitude D430 with/without alsa configured, but module-detect will detect the soundcard as long as alsa is configured.

You very much need a working ALSA setup. If you're using Linux, forget
about OSS (it's a dead system long since purged from the kernel and as
such doomed to die a (sadly long and lingering) death).

If the udev-detect module doesn't work, then that is a problem. Make
sure your kernel is new enough for the udev version you are using.

Col.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]