[pulseaudio-discuss] Does pulseaudio require alsa/oss

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sat Apr 24 16:29:10 PDT 2010

On Sat, 24.04.10 17:40, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> 'Twas brillig, and Nix at 24/04/10 15:37 did gyre and gimble:
> > On 23 Apr 2010, Colin Guthrie told this:
> >
> >> 'Twas brillig, and Nix at 23/04/10 00:43 did gyre and gimble:
> >>
> >> Can you say which pacakge provides that file? It doesn't seem to be part
> >> of the main ConsoleKit spec (i.e. with a patch).
> >
> > xorg-x11-xinit-1.0.9-14, in Fedora 12 anyway.
>
> Ahh right. Yeah we carry the same patches too and have done for ages.
>
> I'm not super familiar with how that bit of x initialisation works but I
> believe that other login managers (e.g. gdm, kdm) do similar things and
> this just allows things to work equally nicely if you run startx from a
> tty rather than going via a more common graphical login manager.

Well, non-login-manager managed X sessions are not really what most
desktop devs folks design their stuff for. gdm links directly against
CK, other dms might only support it via the pam CK connector, and startx
sessions are supported via that CK launch xinit kludge.

It is only understandable if the desktop devs work on the commonly used
code paths and only offer minimal support for legacy console-based logins.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net