[pulseaudio-discuss] More on the native protocol complexity

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sat Apr 24 17:21:44 PDT 2010

On Fri, 23.04.10 09:04, Dan Kegel (dank at kegel.com) wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 8:10 AM, Rafal Wojtczuk
> <rafal at invisiblethingslab.com> wrote:
> > Again, can I have a simple sound sharing over network protocol, pretty
> > pretty please ? Raw audio frames + simple synchronization, anyone ?
>
> RTMP might be suited for that:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Time_Messaging_Protocol
> It used to be Adobe-proprietary, but there are several lively
> open source projects using it now.

Well, that doesn't do time synchronization AFAICS. It's not suitable in a
general purpose audio pipeline.

One of the simplest protocols for audio passing is certainly RTP, and it
is much better understood than RTMP.  RTP is a very good building block
for audio systems like the one requested here, and PA in fact has
support for it in a limited way. But it is only a building block really,
which means that a clean solution would require some hackery on top of
what exists right now.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net