[pulseaudio-discuss] rtkit: add pid as argument

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun Apr 25 13:11:18 PDT 2010

On Sun, 25.04.10 21:41, David Henningsson (launchpad.web at epost.diwic.se) wrote:

> > which handle corresponds to the thread, or even if that handle is local
> > or not. Wineserver controls this information so all requests that
> > involve handles involve a wineserver call, in general. So racing cannot
> > happen, because wineserver is the only one making the requests.
>
> Just a question, what about RLIMIT_RTTIME, which rtkit requires to be
> set for enabling rt? AFAIK there is no equivalent in Windows.

Well, we enforce RLIMIT_RTTIME mostly because we can, not because it
would really inhibit all kind of RT-related misbehaviour of the clients.

Or in other words: RLIMIT_RTTIME is quite useful as a protection against
programming errors somewhre, however it is still easily circumventable
by people who really try to do evil things, unless combined with other
tricks, such as SCHED_RESET_ON_FORK.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net