[pulseaudio-discuss] Multiple users (kde) on Debian

Jan Braun janbraun at gmx.de
Tue Aug 10 22:04:32 PDT 2010

Ng Oon-Ee schrob:
> On Wed, 2010-08-11 at 00:51 +0200, Jan Braun wrote:
> > Colin Guthrie schrob:
> > > Also most people expect to get exclusive access ot the sound h/w when
> > > switching users (it's how it works on Windows and Mac OS)
> >
> > While fiddling with a relative's computer today, I was surprised to find
> > out the technical assertion is not true. The 32-bit XP Home Personal
> > installation on it had vlc happily continuing audio playback on one user
> > account while I was fast-user-switched to a different (admin) account.
>
> I believe the statement was made with reference to Windows Vista/7,
> which actually HAS some security features, instead of the "oh, every
> process is allowed to do everything" approach of XP.

That approach surely did not prevent quite a lot of "A program is doing
something, allow it?"-prompts, even when logged in as admin. ;)

But even if Vista/7 don't allow simultaneous audio access by different
users anymore, this still makes a point for "allowing simultaneous
access is the logical behaviour (but MS couldn't get the security right
and had to backpedal)".

Well, since at this point I'm mostly repeating myself, I'll shut up
until I'm ready to code. Sorry for the noise.

    Jan