[pulseaudio-discuss] Volume control interactions

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Aug 15 13:19:52 PDT 2010

'Twas brillig, and Dylan at 15/08/10 19:12 did gyre and gimble:
> On Sunday 15 August 2010, Michał Sawicz wrote:
>> 'pulseaudio flat volume'
>
> I just don't know what to say ... "It's this way because Vista does this"??
> [0]

Just because Vista does it, does not make it automatically wrong. The
only reason things are confusing to you is because you're looking at the
underlying mixer. If everything is masked away the internal
representation really doesn't matter. Yes, better UI controls are always
welcome and needed, but writing a good volume control UI is hard:
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/writing-volume-control-uis.html
http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/WritingVolumeControlUIs

> Is there any way to get the intuitively correct (to me) behaviour of one
> slider affecting one level?

You can turn off flat volumes. Just look in daemon.conf for the key (or
man pulse-daemon.conf)

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]