[pulseaudio-discuss] Packagers: Xlib vs XCB

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Aug 16 06:51:48 PDT 2010

Hi,

As some of you will have found out, there are some applications that
have problems relating to Xlib usage (XCloseDisplay() IIRC) when
combined with PA client libs (notably I've seen reports from VLC
relating to this).

I've therefore committed a patch I wrote a while back to stable-queue
that ports the client side code to XCB. I've been using this for a while
and not noticed any regressions so I think it's good for s-q.

I want to push it on master too, but there was some extra code added
there that deals with multiple screens.

I'm waiting for a reply on ticket 799 to see if this can be mangled into
my port, but if I don't get one soon, I'll just clobber it with my code
and the missing functionality can be added back in later (it's a pretty
niche use case IIRC).

So if you package s-q, don't forget to add a build require on XCB-devel
package if you want X11 support :)

Cheers

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]