[pulseaudio-discuss] gst pulsesrc and default caps

pl bossart bossart.nospam at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 19:00:16 PDT 2010

> It looks like it working for me. Or "resample method: (null)" mean some
> thing other?
>

> 1 source outputs(s) available.
>    index: 0
>        driver: <protocol-native.c>
>        flags: START_CORKED FIX_FORMAT FIX_RATE FIX_CHANNELS
>        state: RUNNING
>        source: 2
> <alsa_input.usb-046d_0991_9671DCEE-02-U0x46d0x991.analog-mono>
>        current latency: 0,00 ms
>        requested latency: 27,56 ms
>        sample spec: s16le 1ch 16000Hz
>        channel map: mono
>                     Mono
>        resample method: (null)

I tried on my set-up, and I have:
source Output #1
	Driver: protocol-native.c
	Owner Module: 9
	Client: 4
	Source: 1
	Sample Specification: s16le 2ch 48000Hz
	Channel Map: front-left,front-right

Which matches what I have in /usr/etc/pulse/daemon.conf and the
following code in source-output.c
if (data->flags & PA_SOURCE_OUTPUT_FIX_RATE)
        data->sample_spec.rate = data->source->sample_spec.rate;

Basically when you use these flags, pulsesrc will get the same sample
rate as your input, without any src in PulseAudio. But this may not be
what you want, you may want a different rate than what your hardware
provides. By using this flag you remove any flexibility. The rate
should be defined with the pulsesrc caps, not with a hard-coded flag,
some folks want an SRC in pulseaudio.
-Pierre