[pulseaudio-discuss] Version numbers & rollup releases

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Thu Aug 19 12:03:40 PDT 2010

2010-08-18 18:01, Colin Guthrie skrev:
> Now on to the next point: More frequent releases. I know that Lennart
> doesn't like doing releases, but I think I speak for everyone of us
> triaging bugs and working on patches for the stable-queue branch would
> prefer to have more interim releases (especially in the current case
> where 0.9.22 has been so long in the kitchen due to systemd distractions!).

At least you speak for me :-) Thanks for bringing it up, I totally agree.

> So, in short, I'd like to take the following actions:
>
> 1. Rename the milestone 0.9.22 to 0.10.0. The current git master should
> ultimately become 0.10.0 (with all it's DBUS funkiness).
> 2. Tag stable-queue as 0.9.22 and release a tarball[1]
>
> Lennart: As always you are in charge, but keeping a track on things is
> so much easier if I don't have to explain the fact that there are 170+
> patches to apply on top of the last stable release.
>
> If you are happy to adopt this numbering approach, I'll take the extra
> load that results from doing more interim releases.
>
> I know that distro policy means that version bumps in packages for
> stable distros are generally frowned upon by distro release managers,
> but I get the feeling that this is slightly more relaxed these days (I
> know it is in Mandriva) if the upstream project is quite clear about
> their recommendations and their versioning scheme.
>
> I mean if 0.10.x is basically "the official, upstream recommended
> version of the 0.10 series" then distros can rest easy in updating
> 0.10.0 to 0.10.1 in a stable distro. This wont always work if the distro
> is too strict but it's still a generally sensible approach to versioning.
>
> So, what do you think?

Agreed. If master was stabilized and had a new release once a few months
or so, things would be different, bug given current state of master and
stable-queue it makes sense to let them have separate number series.

> 1. Only after the either David's or Pierre's patch for fixing tsched=0
> mode is merged into s-q tho' :D

Yes please :-) Hope we don't get stuck in never-ending discussions on
that one.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic