[pulseaudio-discuss] performance issue of pulseaudio in the netbook

Shouqun Liu sqliu.ustc at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 01:03:45 PDT 2010

Hi all,

On my netbook with MeeGo OS, pulseadio seems to have some performance issue.

For example, when use gst-launch to play ogg file and use pulsesink:
     gst-launch filesrc location=/data/1.ogg ! oggdemux ! vorbisdec !
audioconvert ! pulsesink

The gst-launch uses 12% of CPU, and the pulseaudio reaches even 15% of CPU,
but with direct alsasink, the CPU utilization is 7%.

I investigate it using sysprof, and figure out that the pa_mainloop_poll in
pa_mainloop_run
is the hotspot of pulseaudio server.

Is there any method to solve the performance issue by tuning pulseaudio ?

Thanks, Liu