[pulseaudio-discuss] ALSA sink enumeration and multiple devices/subdevices

pl bossart bossart.nospam at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 10:06:05 PDT 2010

> In practice, NVIDIA GPUs only support sending video signals over at most
> two of these connectors at once, and hence the HD audio controller only
> allows two audio streams to be configured at once. The exact set used can
> be dynamically reconfigured by changing xorg.conf or using NVIDIA's tools
> to manipulate a running X server; similar to xrandr.

Ok, so now I understand your need to have multiple devices on the same
card. Point taken.
I am still not clear on the need to expose 4 devices, out of which 2
are known to be non-functional.
Why not expose to PulseAudio the only two devices that are configured
and functional?
And to go one step further why not present the devices if they are
connected to a receiver?
-Pierre