[pulseaudio-discuss] Multiple users (kde) on Debian

Jan Braun janbraun at gmx.de
Wed Aug 25 04:08:35 PDT 2010

Colin Guthrie schrob:
> >> As we discussed previously the pseudo session started for the GDM login
> >> prompt is the right approach here. There is always an "active" user,
> >
> > No!!!
>
> None of what you said above causes me to doubt the approach we have all
> previously discussed. The architecture is wrong. Provide a *single*
> system service that does all the work. Do not run several instances of
> it for each user or login shell. In the pseudo sessions or real user
> sessions, run an *agent* that is the lightweight layer that connects to
> the system process and does the sound output. This way you get *user
> specific* settings.

FWIW, I agree that's the best aproach.
But aren't you PA guys actively fighting this idea? You strongly advise against
system mode. PA tightly couples per-user settings and per-system hw access,
making such an agent difficult to write[1].
I'm seriously confused as to whether you're telling Halim here "you need more
effort than just dmix" or in fact "PA is not (and won't ever be) for you".

regards,
    Jan

[1] See e.g.
https://tango.0pointer.de/pipermail/pulseaudio-discuss/2010-July/007588.html