[pulseaudio-discuss] Routing of audio to loudspeakers or headphones

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Aug 25 07:49:44 PDT 2010

'Twas brillig, and pl bossart at 25/08/10 14:31 did gyre and gimble:
>> Even when this is all done, you will still not get everything working
>> 100% perfectly just yet. Jack sensing is (apparently - not looked for a
>> while) a mess and does not work reliably on all drivers. We need to fix
>> that and probably will enable automatic port switching on jack status in
>> due course. But until this comes in, when you plug in your headphones,
>> you have to manually change the port in pavucontrol (labelled connector
>> in gnome tools).
>
> For jack sensing, we'd need a module that traps input events. ALSA
> sends an input event when the headphone jack is inserted. This is
> what's used in Meego (the detection isn't part of PulseAudio though).

Yeah that's what is intended but I believe the general state of Jack
Sensing is pretty busted generally....

There are a few quirks with how things work in PA as to how to enable
this properly, (namely the restoration of manually set ports properly),
but none of these are crazy hard to solve I don't think.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]