[pulseaudio-discuss] Routing of audio to loudspeakers or headphones

Kim Therkelsen kim_t26 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 27 01:49:16 PDT 2010

> No, DSP in kernel will never be accepted upstream. ALSA supports doing
> DSP at the application layer, though PulseAudio bypasses all the setup
> for that by default.

I do not really understand what you mean by "No, DSP in kernel will never be accepted upstream".

What I want is to make is a DSP module that improves the sound quality of the sound coming from the laptop builtin speakers by applying DSP (FIR/IIR filters). I want to route all audio played back (from for instance an offline WAV or MP3 file or streamed from the internet) to pass through the DSP plugin whenever headphones are not connected. I want to place the DSP module as close to the hardware as possible to make sure all audio is really routed through the DSP plugin so I always can enjoy the DSP improvements made to the sound.

What I really want to know is:

Where can I place this module:

As a plugin to PulseAudio?

Some other type of plugin?

As a kernel module?

In the audio driver?

I have tried with a ladspa-module and the module-ladspa-sink in PulseAudio but I am not sure this is the best solution.

My requirements:

1) Must be able to detect if headphones are connected

2) Must be able to process stereo and multichannel (5.1/7.1) formats. I need the multichannel formats to perform my binaural downmixing to stereo.

/Kim