[pulseaudio-discuss] Two identical USB sound-cards - second card fails to load because card-name found in hashmap.

Ivar Mossin ivar.mossin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 14:27:15 PDT 2010

Daniel Mack:
> BTW, just out of curiosity: did you ever try to connect these two cards to
a Windows machine? At least years ago, Microsoft's insanely ugly-smelling
low-level USB stack would completely freak out for two identical devices
with no serial number.

No, I don't have access to a windows machine, so I couldn't test it.

Tanu Kaskinen:

Thanks for the fix. I've been a bit busy lately, so haven't had the time to
look too closely into it. But I cloned your git repo and tried to run it.
The alsa-module did load nicely, however, it seemed to be a similar issue
when creating the sink:

----
Aug 29 22:27:06 willpower pulseaudio[32123]: sink.c: Failed to register name
alsa_output.usb-BeAutiful_Qing_Audioengine_AW1-00.analog-stereo.
Aug 29 22:27:06 willpower pulseaudio[32123]: alsa-sink.c: Failed to create
sink object
Aug 29 22:27:06 willpower pulseaudio[32123]: module.c: Loaded
"module-alsa-card" (index: #2; argument: "device_id="2"
name="usb-BeAutiful_Qing_Audioengine_AW1-00"
card_name="alsa_card.usb-BeAutiful_Qing_Audioengine_AW1-00"
namereg_fail=false tsched=yes ignore_dB=no
card_properties="module-udev-detect.discovered=1"").
----

When issuing 'pactl list' I could find the other cards with their
sinks/sources, and I also found the second card correctly named
'alsa_card.usb-BeAutiful_Qing_Audioengine_AW1-00.2', but no sinks connected
to it. Quickly looking into the source, the failing log-output comes from
pulsecore/card.c:185 as it hits the if-test:
if (!(name = pa_namereg_register(core, data->name, PA_NAMEREG_SINK, s,
data->namereg_fail))) {

Unless you get ahead of me, I could try to see if I'm able to apply a
similar approach as you did for loading the card itself. But as I said, I
didn't have time to look too closely into it yet.

-Ivar!