[pulseaudio-discuss] Card sometimes doesn't create sinks/sources

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Dec 1 02:23:56 PST 2010

'Twas brillig, and Colin Guthrie at 07/11/10 20:51 did gyre and gimble:
> [Resend: Didn't get through moderation last time... 2nd time lucky]
>
> Hi,
>
> This is a strange one that I've seen happen very occasionally, but
> cannot nail down or reliably reproduce.
>
> I've got a set of USB speakers and when coming back from suspend with
> them plugged in (they were not plugged in prior to suspending but have
> been previously with the same instance of PA).
>
> The card is recognised and appears under "Configuration" tab or pacmd
> list-cards. It shows it's profiles correctly and selects the one I want,
> but it does not load the sinks and sources (in this case, just sinks).
>
> Unplugging and replugging doesn't help. Changing profile doesn't help.
>
> Everything looks correct, but the sinks just don't appear.
>
> Restart PA daemon and all is well - the sinks appear as expected.
>
> I've attached the log output, but the only strange thing in there to me
> is the "events suppressed" message. Sadly it's not clear exactly which
> event is suppressed when it prints that message which really doesn't
> help debugging... someone should really fix that with the log
> suppression technique currently in use!

Just as an update to this issue, it appears to related to DBus
connections being lost on a suspend/resume cycle.

org.pulseaudio.Server is not on the session bus. The reason the sinks
are not created is due to the reservation protocol to allow graceful
handover to other applications. Because this fails to init, we do not
create the sink.

Not sure if this is a DBus of PA problem yet tho'.

Thanks to David Henningsson for helping debug this when it cropped up
again this morning.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]