[pulseaudio-discuss] Progress of 'dynamic default sink' or 'device preference list'?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Dec 1 04:10:26 PST 2010

'Twas brillig, and Ng Oon-Ee at 01/12/10 10:57 did gyre and gimble:
> On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 09:20 +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> 'Twas brillig, and Ng Oon-Ee at 01/12/10 07:48 did gyre and gimble:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Now that 0.9.22 is finally out, I'm wondering what happened to what
>>> Colin mentioned some time back about 'device preferences'. As I
>>> understood at the time, assuming 3 possible sound devices (which may or
>>> may not be plugged in):-
>>> 1. New streams would be automatically sent to the highest priority
>>> device on starting
>>> 2. Streams which have been manually moved would stay where they've been
>>> moved to.
>>> 3. When another device which has a higher priority is plugged in, all
>>> streams (except for those in 2.) are moved to it.
>>>
>>> This scheme was mentioned in preference to a generic "move all sound to
>>> latest plugged-in-device" scheme, I believe.
>>>
>>> Are there any plans in this direction?
>>
>> Not done much on it TBH. Was wanting to discuss things with Lennart
>> further as he never quite acked the approach (not the finer details
>> anyway) and there are still some caveats to the approach (like dealing
>> with apps that produce multiple streams where you want to control them
>> independently - although I think that can and should be mitigated in an
>> app specific way).
>>
>> I may just crack on an do it over the winter seeing as it's getting
>> really cold now and worry about the finer details later.
>
> Thanks for the quick response Colin. Would user-input as to the design
> of this behaviour be helpful, or just a hindrance?

Well I've gathered quite a lot of feedback already, but please feel free
to critique more! I think the comments on the blog article[1] and a
thread on this list which I've long since lost of my gmane cache were
the best references... i'll try and dig out the archive link to that
thread when I have a sec.

Col

1 http://colin.guthr.ie/2010/02/this-is-the-route-to-hell/

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]