[pulseaudio-discuss] Unable to make pulseaudio work on a Slackware based distribution (Kongoni)

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Dec 9 09:54:22 PST 2010

[ Just reiterating my previous request to not top post (it's bad
etiquette on 99% of mailing lists, and also to trim the quoted sections
appropriately rather than include them verbatim at the end - that's of
no use to anybody. Thanks ]

'Twas brillig, and Robert Gabriel at 09/12/10 17:09 did gyre and gimble:
> OK, here it is:
>
> pacmd list: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=Kn7tZBH4

Cool. All looks good now that you've removed the manual sink you added.

> Session1:
> 	unix-user = '1000'
> 	realname = 'Kongoni'
> 	seat = 'Seat1'
> 	session-type = ''
> 	active = TRUE
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is the interesting bit. It's set correctly :)

> [kongoni at kongoni ~]$ getfacl /dev/snd/*

> # file: dev/snd/pcmC0D0c
> # owner: root
> # group: audio
> user::rw-
> user:kongoni:rw-
       ^^^^^^^^^^^

Your user appearing in the ACL is what I wanted to check here. All good.

> [kongoni at kongoni ~]$ sudo lsof |grep /dev/snd
> kmix       1114    kongoni   12u      CHR      116,6      0t0
> 2372 /dev/snd/controlC0
> pulseaudi  1121    kongoni   21u      CHR      116,6      0t0
> 2372 /dev/snd/controlC0
> pulseaudi  1121    kongoni   28u      CHR      116,6      0t0
> 2372 /dev/snd/controlC0

Cool. No application hogging things. One thing I would point out is that
kmix is accessing /dev/snd/controlC0 directly. If kmix is build with
pulseaudio support, it should not do that. I'll just go via PulseAudio.
This shouldn't be a problem, but you will see confusing things by
looking directly at the alsa mixer while pulseaudio is used, primary due
to it's Flat Volume logic. A Kmix with PA support is likely the better
option for you.

> PULSE_LOG=99 paplay -vvvvv /path/to/a/wav.wav - running the sound work properly!

Great!

So it seems simply that it's a KDE problem.

> But even if the sound work properly when loggin into KDE the error is
> still there and the login "sound" didn't work,
> but now KDE didn't throw an error and Falling back to . "The pop-up
> error from the KDE notifier or whatever is called."

This shouldn't happen with a fairly up to date Phonon build. What
version are you using? 4.4.3 was released just the other day. I'd
recommend that.

Is PulseAudio auto-spawning enabled? (it is by default - you can check
if you have autospawn=no in /etc/pulse/client.conf or
~/.pulse/client.conf. If you have not specifically disabled the
autospawning, it will work automatically (as it's the default).

This page may have some useful information for you (incl. screen shots
as to how things are supposed to look and work etc.):
 http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/KDE

Either way this is more of a KDE problem than a PA one. Although it'll
likely be myself that helps you either way (as I wrote all the KDE
integration).

HTHs

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]