[pulseaudio-discuss] Unable to make pulseaudio work on a Slackware based distribution (Kongoni)

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Dec 9 11:34:29 PST 2010

'Twas brillig, and Robert Gabriel at 09/12/10 18:09 did gyre and gimble:
> I just wrote before that phonon was just build with pulseaudio support
> and of course the version is 4.4.3.

OK, that's good to know. I appreciated you built you're own but you
never know which version people use - e.g. there may have been a dep
that required you use an older version.

> Rebuild kmix... isn't in my list, as it most probably need to rebuild
> KDE as this is how Slackware doesn't things.
> So for me should be a different fix.
> Now in Phonon config there is "Default Audio Device" which is set in
> /etc/asound.conf, but
> this is not the default and would like to make default globaly, just
> not sure how.
>
> pcm.!default {
>     type pulse
>     hint.description "Default Audio Device"
> }

Hmm, this is very odd. The ALSA hint should *not* appear in Phonon
config if PulseAudio support is fully working. Can you attach/link a
screen shot just to be sure?

The device list should mirror your PulseAudio setup (e.g. the same list
of devices as is shown in the Output Devices tab of pavucontrol.

The page I linked earlier has screen shots of kcm_phonon config screens.
It appears you are seeing ALSA devices in that list due to the fact that
the ALSA hint is being disaplayed and this should not happen with a
fully integrated setup.

Can you run:

PHONON_PULSEAUDIO_DEBUG=4 kcmshell4 kcm_phonon

And post/link the debug output please?

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]