[pulseaudio-discuss] cannot control input devices from pavucontrol + crashes in recording tab

Peter Hercek phercek at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 08:19:24 PST 2010

On 12/22/2010 01:20 PM, Maarten Bosmans wrote:
> Why are you using arecord? That way you bypass PulseAudio completely
> and record directly from the alsa sound source. Using parec instead
> gives you all the pulse goodies you can handle!
On my machine, the default is pulse, so it should not matter.

> If you're saying (I'm not quite sure I understand correctly) that
> changing mute/volume of the pulse source does not result in a volume
> change of the audio output of arecord, then that's completely
> expected. (Well, it could have some effect, if pulse decides to adjust
> hardware volume, but anyway, it won't be exactly how you want it)
Well you made me think that what I want may not be possible. If so It
decreases pulseaudio value to me so much that I'll probably get rid of
it. Anyway I try to explain better what I would like to do:
* I have a TV card which does not have any digital sound. The only way
to get sound from it is to connect the TV card AudioOut to Line In  of
my sound card.
* Then I have a bunch of normal aplications which generate audio output
(e.g. xmms).
* Now I would like to be able to control these things from pavucontrol:
     + mute Line In (TV) and control its volume levels
     + mute and control volume levels of all the applications
individually (e.g. xmms, mplayer, ...)

Unfortunatelly I do not see any way to control Line In (TV) from
pavucontrol. I can do this only from alsamixer. The test I did on my
brother's machine is not conclusive. It is probably not possible on his
machine too. In a way Input Devices tab kind of works on my machine too.
I.e. I can mute (and may be also control volume levels) of parec (and
also arecord) from the tab. The problem is that the tab does not
discriminate between Mic1, Mic2, and LineIn inputs. Either I mute/unmute
all of them or none. Moreover it looks like LineIn is not the hardware
port on the back of my computer marked LineIn.

Peter.