[pulseaudio-discuss] ubuntu flash pulseaudio multiuser

duportail poort at telenet.be
Wed Dec 22 14:08:05 PST 2010

Op 22-12-2010 21:12, Colin Guthrie schreef:
> 'Twas brillig, and duportail at 22/12/10 19:51 did gyre and gimble:
>> Op 22-12-2010 20:37, Colin Guthrie schreef:
>>> 'Twas brillig, and duportail at 22/12/10 19:26 did gyre and gimble:
>>> Do you use system-wide PA or a separate PA process for each user
>>> (recommended).
>>>
>>> If the latter, then all you need to do is setup the ACLs correctly
>>> (probably via some custom udev trickery) so that a given user is *only*
>>> allowed to use the one USB card.
>>>
>>> This setup will mean each user can only use one sound card by virtual of
>>> file-system permissions and PA is designed to respect these permissions.
>>>
>>> Col
>>>
>>   I use a separate PA process for each user.
> So can each user see multiple sinks or just the one? (in e.g. pavucontrol)
>
>> With padevchooser I set the default sink for that user.
> padevchooser is rubbish and unsupported and obsolete. I strongly
> recommend not using it at all.
>
> Ideally each users PA process will only have one sink and thus there is
> really no option for any apps in the first place.
>

>> Al program's,such as mediaplayers sends the
>> sound to the correct usb device that is set as default for this user.
>> Only flash player in firefox or opera sends the sound to the first
>> soundcard.And not to the default soundcard for this user.
> Well I'm confused as if there is only one sink listed for each user in
> their own private PA daemon, this suggests that these applications are
> bypassing PA and accessing ALSA directly. Not sure why they would do
> that, but flash does have a habbit of being rubbish with such things.
> Still if the ACLs on the sound devices themselves are restricted then
> even if it does bypass PA each user should still only have access to one
> sound device each.
>
> Col

Well, it worked in ubuntu 10.04, but not in 10.10 anymore.
With padevchooser you can see all sinks, and the user has to set the
default.
However, on my multi-user systems i have a script (with password) to set
the default sink .So the users cannot change this
Again all is working weel, except flash.
It's kde 4.5, maybe it is phonon?