[pulseaudio-discuss] Dolby Digital / DTS s/pdif pass-through

Vincent Tschanz vincent.tschanz at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 03:46:45 PST 2010

Hello,

This is my first message on this mailing list, I'm a standard Ubuntu
user and a home-cinema amateur. I basically use Ubuntu as a mediacenter
hooked to a videoprojector and a 5.1 digital decoder sound system.

I'm a little confused about Alsa and Pulseaudio and their respective
purposes.

My problem is to get the AC3 (dolby digital) and DTS flux from movies
decoded by my 5.1 Amp.

My sound card (HDA intel - ALC889) is connected to my logitech Z5500
decoder with an optical cable (toslink).

I'm using mplayer or VLC with s/pdif pass-through enabled but I can't
get any sound out of my speakers.

Ubuntu 10.10 currently use Pulseaudio 0.9.22.

Can someone explain to me in broad terms how things should work through
Pulseaudio and Alsa?  And what I should do to get ac3/DTS decoded by my amp?

Thank you.

Vincent