[pulseaudio-discuss] cannot control input devices from pavucontrol + crashes in recording tab

Peter Hercek phercek at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 06:27:01 PST 2010

On 12/28/2010 02:47 PM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Peter Hercek at 28/12/10 12:25 did gyre and gimble:
>>
>> I looked at this better today and found out that the reason the loopback
>> sound stops is that the pulseaudio servers exits. It thinks it is idle.
>> It looks like when some sounds go over loopback (or pavumeter) it is not
>> considered a usefull work (the message was: "core.c: We are idle,
>> quitting..."). But when some sounds go from some other apllication (like
>> e.g. xmms) or when pavucontrol is running then it is considered a
>> usefull work and the server does not get idle. This looks like a bug to
>> me. Streaming sounds over loopback is definitely usefull work for me.
>> Should this be reported as a bug?
>> Is there some workaround, some way to make pulseaudio server not to
>> detect idling?
> Hmm, this does indeed look like some kind of bug. I'll try and see if I
> can reproduce here and work out what's wrong.
>
> As a work around, you can possibly try commenting out
> "module-suspend-on-idle" from default.pa.

Commenting out module-suspend-on-idle is not helping by itself. If I
still load module-x11-publish then the servers exits on thinking it is
idle anyway.
If I comment out module-suspend-on-idle and also do not load
module-x11-publish then the server does not exit on idle when plaing
line-in stream through loopback only.
I do not have a clue what consequences not loading module-x11-publish
has. I see that some properties are not registered in the root window
but I do not know whether it is good or bad and how much.

Peter.