[pulseaudio-discuss] ubuntu flash pulseaudio multiuser

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Dec 28 10:43:52 PST 2010

'Twas brillig, and duportail at 23/12/10 18:46 did gyre and gimble:
> Op 23-12-2010 19:02, Colin Guthrie schreef:
>> 'Twas brillig, and duportail at 23/12/10 17:50 did gyre and gimble:
>>> That did it Col, thanks.
>>> I will look into the ACL's now.But have to write  an easy script to set
>>> this up.
>> Cool :)
>>
>>> Last question: what is  start-pulseaudio-x11 doing?Or what can be done
>>> with this?
>> Essentially it just loads a couple extra modules into PA (keeping in
>> mind that that PA is a per-user daemon but each user can theoretically
>> login on several X11 displays at the same time).
>>
>> One module keeps PA alive for the duration of the X11 session (normally
>> PA will exit after a period of inactivity). A second module publishes
>> connection credentials in the x11 root window. This allow us to piggy
>> back on SSH's X11 forwarding so that you can SSH to a remote machine and
>> run an X11 app and have it display on your local machine but also
>> produce sounds on your local machine too (assuming you've enabled
>> networking support in paprefs).
>>
>> These modules can't be loaded in default.pa as X11 may not be be present
>> when PA starts up (e.g from a console) so this script is automatically
>> run when the user logs into X (via XDG autostart .desktop files).
>>
>> Col
>>
> Ok,thanks
> Can a pulseaudio sound card be attached to a X display ,for example
> display :0.0 and :0.1 ?

I've not personally tested it, but in theory yes:
http://git.0pointer.de/?p=pulseaudio.git;a=commitdiff;h=f73e9c19f7fd4f7aaecd06a283b125078d8ad884

I think what you refer to there tho' are "screens" rather than
"displays" but I get a bit lost in the X11 terminology.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]