[pulseaudio-discuss] cannot control input devices from pavucontrol + crashes in recording tab

Peter Hercek phercek at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 07:09:12 PST 2010

On 12/29/2010 11:29 AM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Peter Hercek at 28/12/10 22:08 did gyre and gimble:
>>> I'm cool with any way which allows me to prevent the server exit when
>>> it is used by module-loopback only. It may be done by module-loopback
>>> actually telling the server it is being used or it can be done by some
>>> switch/option/argument to module-loopback (looks like it is possible
>>> to have them so I do not know how to specify it now) or a switch to
>>> server or loading some module do-not-exit-on-idle or whatever :-) I do
>>> not really care, it just sucks big time when I need to have some other
>>> (visible) app using pulseaudio server to keep it running when I need
>>> only module-loopback active.
>> Actually the solution for me should be setting
>> exit-idle-time = -1
>> This seems to work.
>>
>> I still think that module-loopback use should prevent the server from
>> exit even when exit-idle-time is a small postive number.
> Hmm, I should have read this mail before replying to the last :D
>
> But basically, yes, I agree. I'll look into making that change.
Here what I think it should work like:
* if module-loopback is loaded and there is at least one stream using it
(it is not muted) then it should prevent server shutdown
* if all streams which can use module-loopback are muted then it should
not prevetnt server shutdown (normal idle counter can run)

I think this would work as expected since for the module-loopback loaded
case we have these alternatives:

1) server is not running (i.e. loopback streams are muted)
  * to unmute a stream of module-loopback one must run pavucontrol which
starts the server ... and then e.g. line-in loopback would continue to
work as expected (server would not exit and drop the sound even when
pavucontrol is closed)

2) server is running (i.e. a loopback stream is not muted)
  * if user mutes then sound is off and there is no problem with server
shutting down
  * if user does not mute it then he/she expects the sound to continue
and the server will continue to run

Peter.