[pulseaudio-discuss] No or only random connections to PulseAudio server after `pulseaudio -k`.

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Feb 2 01:42:58 PST 2010

'Twas brillig, and Lennart Poettering at 02/02/10 07:58 did gyre and gimble:
> On Sat, 30.01.10 15:59, Paul Menzel (paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net) wrote:
>
>> Dear PulseAudio folks,
>>

>> I want to debug PulseAudio problems as described in [1].
>>
>> Therefore I added `autospawn = no` to `~/.pulse/client.conf` and issued
>> `pulseaudio -k` and `pulseaudio -vvvvv`.
>>
>> But after doing so all my programs are not able to connect to the
>> PulseAudio server(?) anymore.
>>
>> Putting `autospawn = yes` to `~/.pulse/client.conf` produces the same
>> behavior besides with MPlayer, where it is sometimes able to connect to
>> the server but fails in over 90 % of the attempts doing so.
>
> Please reproduce this with "PULSE_LOG=99 pactl stat" and post the
> output here. Also, please check syslog.
>
>> 1. For example running `gstreamer-properties` which has PulseAudio
>> selected as output device gives an error message.
>>
>>         $ LANG=C gstreamer-properties
>>         gstreamer-properties-Message: Error running pipeline 'PulseAudio Sound Server': Failed to connect: Connection refused [pulsesink.c(442): gst_pulseringbuffer_open_device (): /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstPulseSink:pulsesink3]
>>
>> 2. Also MPlayer does not work anymore with PulseAudio as output.
>>
>>         AO: [pulse] Init failed: Connection refused
>>         Failed to initialize audio driver 'pulse'
>>         Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
>>         Audio: no sound
>
> Both of these look as if autospawning is in fact disabled. Running
> things with PULSE_LOG=99 should show whether the PA client libs
> actually try autospawning.
>
>>         D: module-udev-detect.c: /dev/snd/controlC0 is accessible: yes
>>         D: module-console-kit.c: dbus: interface=org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Seat, path=/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Seat1, member=SessionAdded
>>         D: module-console-kit.c: dbus: interface=org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Seat, path=/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Seat1, member=SessionRemoved
>>         D: module-console-kit.c: dbus: interface=org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Seat, path=/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Seat1, member=SessionAdded
>
> There's something seriously wrong with your CK setup.

FWIW, there is more debug regarding this issue in the ticket Paul opened
for it here:
http://pulseaudio.org/ticket/785

I tried to deconstruct the connection failures, but I'm failing. I
suspect that the problem is in some way related to the consolekit stuff
as you point out.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]