[pulseaudio-discuss] system-wide daemon

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 19:54:51 PST 2010

While the "right" way is not system-wide mode, in practice, I find
system-wide mode to be very stable and usable on Ubuntu systems that
have multiple users trying to send sound to the speakers.  It's easy
to get Ubuntu Karmic and Lucid to use PulseAudio in system-wide mode.
For systems that require rock-solid sound, and which need to share the
sound card simultaneously with multiple users, it's what I currently
recomend.  Long-term, I believe this situation will change, but for
now, in Ubuntu, system-wide mode would be my recomendation for you.
To set system-wide mode:

Edit /etc/defaults/pulseaudio, and change:
    PULSEAUDIO_SYSTEM_START=0
    PULSEAUDIO_SYSTEM_START=1

Then, edit /etc/pulse/client.conf, and add the line
    autospawn = no
After the line that says '#autospawn = yes'.  Then, delete the file
/etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio.desktop.

Finally, disable group-based authentication to use the sound system.
Edit /etc/pulse/system.pa.  Find the line that reads:
    load-module module-native-protocol-unix
and change it to read:
  load-module module-native-protocol-unix auth-anonymous=1

Be warned that you open yourself up to a unauthorized sound hacker
attacks!  Your wife could send perverse audio over your speakers
without permission!  Your children could spy on you through your mic
without your password!

If you're a bit confused, join the club.  In any case, I my system
works very well in system-wide mode, and for my purposes it works far
better than user-mode, but I've got multiple programs running as
different users that need simultaneous access to the sound card.

Bill