[pulseaudio-discuss] system-wide daemon

David Henningsson launchpad.web at epost.diwic.se
Tue Feb 9 13:52:44 PST 2010

Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Jeremy Nickurak at 09/02/10 19:24 did gyre and gimble:
> This whole thing has been discussed to death, and I really don't feel
> like being drawn into the whole thing again.

>From what I've read here, I'm afraid it's going to keep coming up until
we solve it somehow.

There are just too many people for where the ordinary PA setup (all
soundcards are of exclusive use to the person logged into the current X
session) is not acceptable, and worse, it isn't easy for them to either
reconfigure PA, or replace PA, with something that suits their needs.

I wrote down a few use cases here, I'm sure there are more:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BluePrints/multiuser-soundcards-pulseaudio

Let's hope we can get something constructive out of this, and I'm
hopeful we can solve those people's problems, without sacrificing
latency, power usage or security.

// David