[pulseaudio-discuss] My default sound devices are not retained after suspend or reboot

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Feb 10 14:02:41 PST 2010

On Sun, 07.02.10 15:11, Sebastien Pimenta (pim at pulsradio.com) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using ubuntu karmic 9.10 with 2 sound cards and a webcam listed
> below :

Next time, please follow this if you have problems with Ubuntu:

http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/UbuntuBugs

> To explain things better, I've made some screenshots :
> http://box10.pulsradio.com/~pim2/pulseaudiout1.png => my settings for
> output before suspend (default output = SB0404 ==> what I want). These
> settings seem to be retained after suspend or reboot.
> http://box10.pulsradio.com/~pim2/pulseaudioin1.png  => my settings for
> input before suspend (default input = Audio intern - Line In= ==> What I
> want.
> http://box10.pulsradio.com/~pim2/pulseaudioin2.png  => my settings for
> input after suspend (default input changed to EMU404 - Microphone)
> This is just an exemple because sometimes after reboot, default input is
> still Intel but switched to mic-in instead of line-in.

Hmm, my educated guess is that some weird suspend script might
unload some device/driver on suspend and reload it afterwards. In PA
this might cause a different default device to be chosen.

You might be able to find out more by enabling debug logging in PA and
then checking syslog. (log-level=debug in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf)

> Maybe it has nothing to do with this problem but I've
> edited /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf in order to have always the same
> order :
> options snd-emu10k1 index=0
> options snd-hda_intel index=1
> options snd-usb_audio index=2

That is definitely a bad idea, but probably not the cause of this
issue. Stable card indexes are a thing of the past, as it breaks
hotplugging. There is also no need for it, as you can use card names
(as listed in /proc/asound/cards in the []), or you can use the
control device name, such as
hw:/dev/snd/by-path/pci-0000\:00\:1b.0. Both of which are way more descriptive.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net