[pulseaudio-discuss] system-wide daemon

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Feb 10 15:20:52 PST 2010

On Wed, 10.02.10 08:54, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> Yeah, if we have permission on the device, we use it, otherwise it's
> ignored. When users are switched away, CK fires off dbus signals and we
> recheck our device access etc. We don't accept any input from alsa when
> we do not have permission on the device (even tho' we can read mixer
> settings). If we were able to access the device when we were started but
> subsequently have our permission removed, this is indicative of "user
> switching" (i.e. "Show Login Window" or "Switch User" or "Log in as a
> Different User") in which case we cork any streams tied to those devices
> we can no longer access until such times as they become available to us
> again.

Small correction: for device access PA does not intrefac with
udev or CK. We simply use access() on the device nodes and subscribe
to changes with inotify.

That means that if folks patch their access modes of the device nodes
we will handle accordingly. It's the most robust solution I believe.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net