[pulseaudio-discuss] system-wide daemon

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Wed Feb 10 15:45:43 PST 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 12:16:44AM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> This is nonsense. I am not sure how your ears are constructed, but on
> a multiseat system if you want to share a soundcard between two seats,
> where would you put the speakers so that the two users have the same
> distance from L and R and they are on the left and the right side? I
> mean, those users would have to sit on top of each other or detachable
> ears or something.

Detachable ears are called headphones. :)

I'm not arguing that it's practical to do, but an ideal multiseat system
would be able to give each user two dedicated channels, so they can each
plug in their own set of headphones (modern surround sound cards have
tons of audio outputs).  Of course, implementing and configuring this
would probably be extremely difficult, so I'm not volunteering. :)

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/