[pulseaudio-discuss] My default sound devices are not retained after suspend or reboot

Sebastien PIMENTA pim at pulsradio.com
Thu Feb 11 01:12:35 PST 2010

Hi,

Can you tell me where is the log file of the debug mode ?
I've
edited /etc/pulse/daemon.conf and uncommented log-level=debug but I can't
find the log file :S

Lennart : concerning the card indexes, I'm not sure
how to use the control device name, like you said.
One of my problem is
that I use darkice for recording and broadcasting and its conf file is set
up to record hw(1,0). If I don't edit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf to fix
the sound card order, darkice will record the wrong audio card after a
reboot or suspend, because the card order changes.
Thx -------------- >
Hello,

> I'm using ubuntu karmic 9.10 with 2 sound cards and a webcam
listed
> below :
Next time, please follow this if you have problems with
Ubuntu: http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/UbuntuBugs [1]
> To explain things
better, I've made some screenshots :

http://box10.pulsradio.com/~pim2/pulseaudiout1.png [2] => my settings for

output before suspend (default output = SB0404 ==> what I want). These

settings seem to be retained after suspend or reboot.

http://box10.pulsradio.com/~pim2/pulseaudioin1.png [3] => my settings for

input before suspend (default input = Audio intern - Line In= ==> What I

want.
> http://box10.pulsradio.com/~pim2/pulseaudioin2.png [4] => my
settings for
> input after suspend (default input changed to EMU404 -
Microphone)
> This is just an exemple because sometimes after reboot,
default input is
> still Intel but switched to mic-in instead of line-in.

Hmm, my educated guess is that some weird suspend script might
unload some
device/driver on suspend and reload it afterwards. In PA
this might cause a
different default device to be chosen. You might be able to find out more
by enabling debug logging in PA and
then checking syslog. (log-level=debug
in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf)
> Maybe it has nothing to do with this problem
but I've
> edited /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf in order to have always
the same
> order :
> options snd-emu10k1 index=0
> options snd-hda_intel
index=1
> options snd-usb_audio index=2
That is definitely a bad idea, but
probably not the cause of this
issue. Stable card indexes are a thing of
the past, as it breaks
hotplugging. There is also no need for it, as you
can use card names
(as listed in /proc/asound/cards in the []), or you can
use the
control device name, such as
hw:/dev/snd/by-path/pci-0000:00:1b.0.
Both of which are way more descriptive. Lennart

Links:
------
[1]
http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/UbuntuBugs