[pulseaudio-discuss] system-wide daemon

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Feb 11 04:45:29 PST 2010

On Thu, 11.02.10 02:01, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> 'Twas brillig, and Jeremy Nickurak at 11/02/10 01:48 did gyre and gimble:
> > A question about the console-kit approach, where the user physically
> > near the sound hardware is the person that gets to use it...
> >
> > A favorite trick of mine is to ssh into a machine, and use the sound
> > hardware there to announce some kind of event. It might be an alarm to
> > wake up a family member, or a remotely-generated event alert. It might
> > not be SSH, it might be a cron job, or a CGI...
> >
> > Assuming I'm the administrator of the machine, how can I pull off this
> > trick in the context of console-kit? If it's even possible, it sounds
> > like I'd have to suspend the existing pulseaudio connection by assigning
> > rights to a "virtual console" of some kind, which would then have the
> > opportunity to use the audio device until it released it.
>
> If you're an admin you'd simply "su" to the active user and use their
> access credentials to access their PA system.

Also, one could make your admin user member of the "audio" group, and
access the audio device regardless of who's logged in -- but potentially
you'll clash with a running PA/audio app which already has the device open.

Or, at a higher level you could configure /etc/pulse/default.pa's
module-native-protocol-unix to use an "auth-group" even when running
in per-session-mode. All user session should then pick that up and
members of that group will always be allowed access.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net