[pulseaudio-discuss] system-wide daemon

David Henningsson launchpad.web at epost.diwic.se
Thu Feb 11 11:12:54 PST 2010

Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Tue, 09.02.10 22:52, David Henningsson (launchpad.web at epost.diwic.se) wrote:
>> There are just too many people for where the ordinary PA setup (all
>> soundcards are of exclusive use to the person logged into the current X
>> session) is not acceptable, and worse, it isn't easy for them to either
>> reconfigure PA, or replace PA, with something that suits their
>> needs.
> I doubt the "too many".

Let's conclude that our milages vary, then.

> The handful of people coming up with this
> from time to time is fairly minimal, I you allow me to say so.

Oh. Most of the people don't complain here. They go googling and find
solutions such as stacking PA on top of dmix, using alsa-plughw directly
from an application, remove all traces of PA from the system, etc etc,
with various degree of success. Sometimes the information is meant for
another distro or version, and they end up messing up more than they fix.

Anyway, reading this thread has been helpful and I got a few pointers.
I'll see if I can sum it up in one page to make the information more
accessible.

// David