[pulseaudio-discuss] system-wide daemon

Markus Rechberger mrechberger at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 11:48:53 PST 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 12:29 AM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 10.02.10 09:59, Markus Rechberger (mrechberger at gmail.com) wrote:
>
>> this is another wrong assumption, libusb uses raw USB access, if every
>> user would have access
>> to USB some devices might be damaged.
>> Sane would need to be serverbased, full raw access to the usb bus
>> would seriously be a security
>> risk (imagine RAW USB access to a USB harddisk).
>
> This is nonsense. Since ages we by default add ACLs for the console
> user for libusb devices for cameras, scanners, and so on. That too
> works via udev-acl.

Lennard, don't spread nonsense around, if you have raw access to a camera there
might be the possibility to update the firmware and damage the device.
If you would have little experience with hardware you should know about that.
Your ACL/libusb restriction won't make this situation better it's
still a security risk.
Although just drop libusb as an example.

Markus