[pulseaudio-discuss] Switching resample_method on the fly?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Jan 1 04:42:40 PST 2010

On Wed, 30.12.09 03:07, Bearcat M. Şandor (bearcat at feline-soul.com) wrote:

> Using Pulseaudio 0.9.19 on gentoo amd64
>
> Folks,
>
> I like to use "resample-method=src-snc-best-quality" for music (i
> upsample to 192k) and "resample-method=src-snc-medium-quality" for flash
> videos and videos. Until i figure out how to upsample gstreamer and
> flash to 192k (the latter of which is probably not possible) how can i
> switch back and forh forth from src-sinc-medium-quality to
> src-sinc-best-quality on the fly?

As tanuk correctly pointed out the infrastructure for implementing
something like this is already available in the PA core. What's missing
though is a module actually making use of this, a protocol extension
to allow client-side control of it and finally a UI for it.

It should be relatively easy to simply extend m-s-r a little to cover
this too, the same way it already controls the devices and volumes for
particular streams. The only hard part would be to keep proper compat
with older versions of the protocol and PA. But that should be
feasible too.

Patches welcome.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net