[pulseaudio-discuss] Sink for event sounds? WAS: paplay - sound roles?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Jan 2 05:09:57 PST 2010

'Twas brillig, and Jason Taylor at 01/01/10 01:31 did gyre and gimble:
> 2010/1/1 Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee at gmail.com>:
>
>>> Yet another argument for role-based, priority list of preferred
>>> devices.... (e.g. how I've made module-device-manager work with the KDE
>>> UI - FWIW, the setup you want is /probably/ working fine under KDE with
>>> my integration patches and PA 0.9.21...)
>>
>> Yes, from what I've read on your KDE work that may be the case.
>> Unfortunately I'm quite tied to gnome =).
>
> Whats missing to make this work in gnome just the UI ?

Yup and the general decision that this approach is "a good thing" and
something that should be exposed to users. I know Lennart doesn't like
the idea of this being something users have direct control over, but
it's something I hear people asking for over and over. Perhaps it's just
because the automatic approaches don't work, full and there are other
ways but I quite like the transparency and relative simplicity (i.e.
users can easily grasp how it works as opposed to black magic hidden
foo) this approach offers.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]