[pulseaudio-discuss] Accessing audio as root

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 07:03:05 PST 2010

Hi, David.

On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 1:08 AM, David Henningsson
<launchpad.web at epost.diwic.se> wrote:
> I was just thinking, and this idea is perhaps not 100% thought through,
> but it could be worth considering.
>
> We have this hand-over mechanism:
>
> http://git.0pointer.de/?p=reserve.git;a=blob_plain;f=reserve.txt

You obviously know more about the plumbing than I do!  I don't know
anything about d-bus, so my opinion counts little, but it looks like a
good direction to me.  I would want to bury all the complexity of
dealing with d-bus under the pulse-simple API, so that only a one-line
change has to be made to clients like speakup/espeakup and
speakup/speechd-up.

I'm not quite sure how this works.  When a speakup client wants access
to the sound card, it could request access at high priority, and then
plays it's sound.  How would it hand back the sound card to the other
user and uncork it?  If this were automatic once the queue was empty
for say one second, that would be great.  Is this the sort of thing we
can do with PA/CK?

Thanks,
Bill