[pulseaudio-discuss] Accessing audio as root

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 07:44:39 PST 2010

Hi, Colin.  I agree with 100% or your message.  The blind are about
the worst adopters of new technology you'll run across.  In fact, the
only reason you're hearing from me is that Ubuntu has made it more or
less a bug to remove PA.  Otherwise, I'd join the rest of the blind/VI
community of embracing what worked in the past for as long as
possible.  If I were fully blind, rather than just a bit visually
impaired, you wouldn't even hear from me, other than perhaps some of
my usual grumpy ranting.  As it is, I can still work quite well on
fixing systems without speech, and with PA becoming standard, I'm
highly motivated to get it working well for the blind.  Especially
before my vision fades much further.

So, for me the "right" behaviour is not simply the old behaviour.  In
this case, I think that the "right" behaviour is some solution that
maintains the security of PA, while not burdening the various "global"
sound sources with details of working with d-bus, or CK.  I'd like to
make it a simple one-line option set in pulse-simple to enable a sound
driver as "global", control security with group and user access, and
bury the complexity under the hood, so the client wont have to deal
with it.  If you think it's hard to get upstream devs to adopt PA
support, wait until you try to get blind upstream devs to change their
code!  Actually, they're typically very apriciative of any help they
can get, but the #1 rule is you can't break what works.  I put out a
simple request last week, "Can I join the speakup dev team for a
while"....  the silence was deafening.  I think whatever solution we
come up with needs to simplify their life as much as possible.  By the
way, I am a fan of pulse-simple.  It's as easy an interface as I've
seen, while still exposing important buffering parameters.  It's
working well with Orca.  I looked at the implementation code in pulse
and pulse-core.  It's good code.  It's clear that the author had some
skill.

Bill