[pulseaudio-discuss] Accessing audio as root

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 21:59:10 PST 2010

Sorry... my laptop has a tendency to accidentally click, and I sent
that last e-mail unfinished.

Anyway, I don't believe I've evern seen multiple copies of PA running
in Ubuntu work properly together, and the open bug about this on
bugs.launchpad.net has had no progress or interest.  If I write the CK
code to kill speech-dispatcher and relaunch it when we switch user, it
wont work in Ubuntu.

IMO, the prudent thing to do for the Lucid release is guide blind
users to be sure they only have one PA instance at a time.  In
particular, I'm thinking of requiring that they log in through gdm
before switching to a console (for the non-CLI version).  We can add
speechd-up as a startup application to be automatically launched after
speech-dispatcher and Orca.  When I do this in Karmic, the consoles
have good speakup performance.

Bill