[pulseaudio-discuss] Accessing audio as root

Halim Sahin halim.sahin at freenet.de
Sun Jan 3 09:39:13 PST 2010

Hi,
On So, Dez 27, 2009 at 01:34:46 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> > > We actually cover that inside of gdm, where you can get access to the
> > > boot messages.
> >
> > Ok what about consolescreenreaders like sbl brltty or speakup?
> > They need a working audiosystem to provide
> > usefull stuff before login or to read the login pprompt.
>
> The gdm login screen should be prefectly accessible.

I am talking about mixed setups between gdm+gnome and a plain bash
textconsole!

> > With pulseaudio I need to login without feedback, start the speech server and
> > then restart the screenreader.
>
> Use gdm!

Siehe oben.

> > By design mac and windows are not comparable with linux
> > because they are not a multi user OS.
>
> That is simply not true.

???

> > For german users:
> > http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/stud/unix-ag-bhb/node27.html
> >
> > changing  the unix behaviour is the main problem here.
> > Maybe you don't need this but others do.
>
> Unix is pretty much a broken system. It might be a useful base and
> more useful as a base than other systems, but uh, of course we need to
> deviate from a system that was designed 40 years ago. People who think
> that Unix is a flawless system and every depature from it would be bad
> are just incredibly naive.

Sorry I want to be able to use my computer (wich isn't possible) if all
distros are integrating pulse (like your suggestions).

> > It should be possible to use the audiosystem the (old way).
>
> You are always welcome to use a distribution from 3 years ago if you
> feel that progress is not for you...

Thanks a lot for your understanding.
I will suggest all blind people to use debian lenny or similar :-(.

Read the whole thread and see what happens:
All suggestions are producing more complex apps and only pa doesn't need
to be changed.
Here are my thoughts about pulse:
Ok This will  my last post in this thread