[pulseaudio-discuss] Help needed for system-wide pulseaudio for blind users

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Jan 4 09:02:57 PST 2010

'Twas brillig, and Daniel Chen at 04/01/10 16:56 did gyre and gimble:
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Bill Cox <waywardgeek at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Pulseaudio starts, and speech-dispatcher and speechd-up work with it
>> just fine at boot.  Since this is a distro for the blind, I boot into
>
> Err, are you sure that speech* are actually using PA and not ALSA
> directly? Your description is reminiscent of either a dummy/null sink
> being used for PA, which normally means another application has
> exclusive access to ALSA's *hw (or via OSS emulation /dev/dsp).

I think you're right re: the Dummy/null sink thing. I suspect it's just
that the "pulse" user has no rights to the /dev/snd/* nodes and adding
that user to the "audio" group will make it work.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]