[pulseaudio-discuss] Accessing audio as root

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Jan 4 11:56:51 PST 2010

'Twas brillig, and Bill Cox at 04/01/10 19:43 did gyre and gimble:
> Colin and Luke have suggested using CK to deal with this, by killing
> off speech-dispatcher and speechd-up when the user logs in through
> gdm, and restarting it when they log out.

Note that I wasn't really suggesting that it was "killed off" per-se.
Just that it became a session daemon (like PA is) and that an "idle
user" session was run when the system was idle. This would have the
effect of starting it automagically when the system became idle (which
implies being at a login prompt) and that it would die off when the
system became "active" (not as a direct result of becomeing active but
because the "idle" session was effectively over/stopped) whereby a users
own version of the app could be run instead to take over after they were
logged in.

That said, Lennart has now clarified how the tty logins are running
(tts) and basically that it itself should run a pseudo session jsut like
gdm. This seems pretty sensible.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]