[pulseaudio-discuss] Accessing audio as root

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jan 4 12:48:12 PST 2010

On Mon, 04.01.10 15:10, Bill Cox (waywardgeek at gmail.com) wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 2:37 PM, Lennart Poettering
> <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> > Also, the sepakup device access should be handled by udev-acl as
> > well. That would probably require non-trivial patching in the speakup
> > tts daemon though.
>
> I'm completely ignorant of udev-acl, but if this is the thing that
> moves around device access rights when you switch users, then I
> agree.

Yes it is.

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/hotplug/udev.git;a=blob;f=extras/udev-acl/udev-acl.c

> If we could pass around /dev/soft_synth rights like we do the sound
> card, we could make this work with user-space code.  The critical
> thing is that /dev/soft_synth rights must always follow the audio card
> rights.  Is it easy to make this work very reliably with CK/udev?

Yes, of course.

The problem of course is that the tts daemon needs to watch this too
and not choke if the device access to that soft_synth device goes
away.

> If this is only a kernel module change, I will sign up to do that.  It
> would be great if we could leave espeakup and speechd-up mostly
> untouched.

This has little to do with the kernel. udev-acl is a userspace code
living in udev's tree (see above).

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net