[pulseaudio-discuss] Accessing audio as root

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jan 4 12:54:05 PST 2010

On Mon, 04.01.10 14:21, Bill Cox (waywardgeek at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi, Lennart.   The blind run all sorts of GUI-driven applications like
> Synaptic, from the System/Administration menu.  Howeve, Orca makes
> these applications accessible when things are working correctly.  I
> agree that we don't want people to login through gdm as root.  They do
> things like su to root and launch Synaptic all the time.  It currently
> works fine.

Synaptic is very broken in respect that it runs gtk as root. The gtk
developers have made very clear that running gtk code priviliged is
evil and should not be done (http://www.gtk.org/setuid.html).

As I understood Ubuntu they are now also heading towards usage of
packagekit which fixes the gtk-as-root problem and allows fully
accessible UIs without horrible security kludges.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net