[pulseaudio-discuss] Accessing audio as root

Luke Yelavich themuso at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 4 14:29:23 PST 2010

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 07:52:02AM EST, Bill Cox wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Lennart Poettering
> <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> > Right. So why not fix orca and make everything work fine in Gnome? I
> > mean, lets fix things properly, not carry on with kludges.
>
> I'm guessing you're and Emacs user.  What's wrong with Vim?  Why don't
> we simply improve Vim and not carry on with this Emacs kludge?  The
> blind are even more attached to their environment.  And speakup isn't
> a kludge.

I have to laugh at this comment. Speakup not a cludge? What do you call a series of kernel modules that talk to serial hardware *DIRECTLY* and not via the correct kernel subsystems for talking to serial hardware? I call that a cludge.

There is a reason speakup is not in the mainline kernel, and cludges like the one above are part of that reason. As I have said earlier, long term, if users want a console screen reader, it needs to be in userspace, and brought up as early as humanly possible. If the system fails to come up correctly prior to the screen reader being loaded, then there is something more fundamentally wrong somewhere which needs to be addressed, possibly at the hardware level. Then, there is fixing all the GUI stuff like Lennart suggested, which I am all for.

Luke