[pulseaudio-discuss] Sink for event sounds? WAS: paplay - sound roles?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Jan 5 06:54:46 PST 2010

On Sat, 02.01.10 13:09, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> 'Twas brillig, and Jason Taylor at 01/01/10 01:31 did gyre and gimble:

> >> Yes, from what I've read on your KDE work that may be the case.
> >> Unfortunately I'm quite tied to gnome =).
> >
> > Whats missing to make this work in gnome just the UI ?
>
> Yup and the general decision that this approach is "a good thing" and
> something that should be exposed to users. I know Lennart doesn't like
> the idea of this being something users have direct control over, but
> it's something I hear people asking for over and over. Perhaps it's just
> because the automatic approaches don't work, full and there are other
> ways but I quite like the transparency and relative simplicity (i.e.
> users can easily grasp how it works as opposed to black magic hidden
> foo) this approach offers.

Nah, the automatic scheme I have in mind has not been tested
yet. Right now we store no history of previous settings that could be
used when the newest setting cannot be applied because a device is not
plugged in or suchlike. So what I have in mind is simply have a stack
of choices. Whenever a user makes a choice the stack entry for it is
put on top. If it existed before it is thus removed from the stack
first and moved to the top. If it didnt exist it is created newly.

That way the user can easily configure the order of devices simply by
moving streams if the order is wrong and that's it. No complex UIs for
that.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net