[pulseaudio-discuss] Accessing audio as root

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Jan 5 07:27:54 PST 2010

'Twas brillig, and Bill Cox at 05/01/10 15:12 did gyre and gimble:
> I was wrong.  What's going on is that PA does not launch automatically
> when I login, and that had me confused.  Sessions do seem to be
> tracked, and it does seem to know which is active.

That's expected. PA will be launched "as needed" e.g. when something
tries to output sound (either via alsa if the alsa->pulseaudio plugin is
configured as the default alsa "device", or via any native Pulseaudio
clients - essentially anything that uses libpulse).

For speech stuff you can't follow this model as you need it to start as
soon as there is something to say. The process of starting your speech
app should trigger PA startup via the above auto-spawning system.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]