[pulseaudio-discuss] weirdly choppy sound with remote ALSA plugin

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Jan 10 05:17:32 PST 2010

On 9 Jan 2010, Daniel Chen said:

> On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 6:28 PM, Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> wrote:
>> No it doesn't, not consistently anyway: remote qemu just started
>> chopping even though pavucontrol was running. The diagnosis in Debian
>> bug 533039 looks accurate to me: the plugin is disconnecting and
>> reconnecting so fast that pavucontrol shows the volume line as a
>> flickering blur, and it looks like each disconnection/reconnection round
>> adds a bit of crackle (and probably loses some sound while it was
>> disconnected).
>
> Is this reproducible with David Henningsson's most recent patch
> (posted earlier today)?

... and the previous post to the list, no less. I'm afraid I skipped it
because the subject line didn't seem immediately relevant: more fool me.

Unfortunately, while it changes the nature of the bug, the bug's still
there, except that now it sounds not only crackly and choppy but as if
it's playing at about 5x speed (probably because so much is being
dropped).

As before, running pavucontrol beforehand fixes mpg123, but does not fix
qemu (at least not entirely: it remains choppy, but less consistently
choppy than it was).